You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2016 8:58 am  #1

Married at First Sight, and can men and women be friends?

We had Friday off from work, so obviously I was very productive and marathoned all of season 3 of "Married at First Sight." 

Two of the ladies have issues with their hubby's relationships with other women. One gets weirded out by the fact that he invited his bff to the wedding (who is also his ex), the other walks out after her man invites a lady friend to a party.

A) Let's just talk about "Married at First Sight" because I"m obsessed.
B) Want to know your feelings about being friends with people of the opposite sex.

I'll write my thoughts in a comment below! 

2/07/2016 9:12 am  #2

Re: Married at First Sight, and can men and women be friends?

In the case of Sam and Neil, I think it's somewhat poor judgement Neil invited his ex-girlfriend to the wedding. The situation of marrying a stranger is a difficult one, and complicating it day one by having an ex-girlfriend there is going to be amplified with nerves. That said, I'm pro staying friends with your ex if that's what's healthy for you and makes you happy. And it doesn't prevent you from moving forward or having a deeper connection with your significant other. Introducing Sam to the ex is fine to me, but inviting her to the wedding in a scenario like this is poor judgement.

In the situation of Tres and Vanessa, Vanessa has stated numerous times she doesn't think men and women can be "just friends." I read this on Facebook (like I said, obsessed!), but just because you haven't have a male friend doesn't mean it's not possible for men and women to be friends. I have a ton of male friends with whom I've had totally platonic relationships (I am somewhat of a tomboy). And of course I have some male friendships that have blossomed into something more or fizzled from something romantic into something platonic. For me, unless there is a reason not to trust a particular relationship, a mandate of no opposite sex friends is unfair.

Another issue that has come up on Married is some of the wifeys aren't comfortable with their hubbies going out with their friends one night a week. I haven't been married so perhaps I'm speaking out of turn, but I *want* a husband who in our younger years still goes to bars, chills with his friends, does what makes him happy. As we get older, kids happen, etc., I'm sure our social lives would evolve. But I'm definitely not into the idea of "being a shut in" or "doing only couple things." Of course, maybe this inherent selfishness on my part (I mean, hey! I want to go out with my friends too!) is why I'm not sure marriage is for me anyway.

Would love to hear what you all think!

2/07/2016 12:53 pm  #3

I will most def have to watch this!!

UPDATE... I am obsessed with this show! Binged the first 8 episodes of season 3 in the past two days!! 

Last edited by red_poppies (2/09/2016 10:20 am)

All information provided is for entertainment only and I make no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. (EYEROLL)

2/09/2016 10:20 am  #4

I want Ashley to chill out and relax!!!

All information provided is for entertainment only and I make no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. (EYEROLL)

4/03/2016 2:12 pm  #5

red_poppies wrote:

I want Ashley to chill out and relax!!!

Totally! Ashley was kind of the worst.  I heard they got paid $100,000 each for the show, and judging from that, that is probably why Ashley joined.  it drove me crazy that she could not even say one thing she liked about David.  Maybe it is the production, but it is clear the production hated her.  It seems she did it all for the money from how she never did.  I have no opinion on David, to be clear.  I just feel like it is super clear she never even gave him a chance.

As for the question can men and women be friends, I say yes, most of my friends are men.  I am married, and my husband is amazing, and I never worry about him and other women, and vice versa.  A lot of my friends are guys.  When Ashely made the statement that she doesn't have one guy friend, I was offended by her assertion that men and women can't be friends.

Maybe I am just speaking completely from my own experience, though.  I would love to hear from someone who likes Ashley and can spell out her point of view for me.

9/29/2021 8:11 pm  #6

I think we can but for some people its a tough sell and a bit if a grey area.

Or just to be inclusive, can same sex people draw a line in a friendship and not cross it???

9/29/2021 8:12 pm  #7

Test

9/29/2021 8:13 pm  #8

Test

9/29/2021 8:13 pm  #9

Test

9/29/2021 8:14 pm  #10

Test

9/29/2021 8:15 pm  #11

Test

9/29/2021 8:15 pm  #12

Test

9/29/2021 8:16 pm  #13

Test

10/25/2023 1:42 am  #14

BillyB I am starting to think that multiple partner sex is normal in Russia and that only now have Iunderstood it because previously I was projecting my feelings and experiences onto these experiences instead of seeing reality. especially when I think back to the Girl in Russia who told me 15 or so years ago what I stated above "Russian women will have sex with me 2 at a time" 

At the same time, as Faux Pas stated insecurities lead a person to say things which are untrue. I am worried  my wife is far more insecure than I originally thought. Maybe I have married a person who has a hard time differentiating reality from fantasy and this has been going on since I met her. Or I am just a prude who is not seeing reality.

2/12/2024 9:07 am  #15

i recommeidn your sahring.

4/11/2024 5:43 am  #16

they can fuck each other if they don't want to

4/14/2024 11:02 am  #17

I’ve always been friends with guys, but I haven’t built a couple with anyone.

4/14/2024 11:03 am  #18

Then I married a colleague at work and no longer needed other men.

4/16/2024 9:18 am  #19

No1WiderFan wrote:

We had Friday off from work, so obviously I was very productive and marathoned all of season 3 of "Married at First Sight." 

Two of the ladies have issues with their hubby's relationships with other women. One gets weirded out by the fact that he invited his bff to the wedding (who is also his ex), the other walks out after her man invites a lady friend to a party.

A) Let's just talk about "Married at First Sight" because I"m obsessed.
B) Want to know your feelings about being friends with people of the opposite sex.

I'll write my thoughts in a comment below! 

A) "Married at First Sight" is definitely a fascinating show! It's interesting to see how the couples navigate their new relationships and deal with the challenges that come their way.

B) Regarding friendships with people of the opposite sex, I think it's possible to have platonic friendships, but it ultimately depends on the individuals involved and their boundaries. It's important to have open and honest communication with your partner about your friendships and to respect each other's feelings.

In the situations you mentioned, it seems like there may be some underlying trust issues or insecurities that need to be addressed. It's important for the couples to have open and honest conversations about their concerns and work together to find a solution that works for both of them.

Board footera